Introducing the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G: Unfold the Shape of the Future
The Galaxy Z Fold2 5G is Samsung’s third generation foldable device, pairing a stunning and bold design with refined engineering to push the boundaries of mobile experiences
LONDON, UK – 1ST September, 2020 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd today unveiled the next generation of its category-defining foldable device, the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G. Packed with enhanced refinements and meaningful innovations, the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G delivers new foldable experiences for those who enjoy being on the cutting edge of technology. With an edge-to-edge Cover Screen and cinematic Main Screen, the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G combines solid design and expert craftsmanship with industry-leading new features for an unrivalled mobile experience that offers unparalleled versatility for everyday life.
“The journey to reach the next generation of smartphones is full of originality and innovation,” said Conor Pierce, Corporate Vice President UK & Ireland, Samsung Electronics. “With the launch of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, we listened closely to customer’s feedback to ensure we were bringing meaningful improvements to the device, while also developing new innovations to enhance the user experience. Further strengthened by our industry-leading partnerships with Google and Microsoft, we’re reshaping and redefining the possibilities of the mobile device experience.”
New Refined Design
The Galaxy Z Fold2 5G pairs bold design with advanced engineering for the ultimate smartphone experience.
- Complete and Immersive Content Experiences – A 6.2-inch Infinity-O Cover Screen provides maximum usability so you can check email, look up directions, or even watch your favourite content without unfolding your device. When unfolded, the cinematic 7.6-inch Main Screen, with minimised bezels and notch-less Front Camera, immerses you with a 120Hz adaptable refresh rate for smooth scrolling and gameplay. To complete the experience, the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G comes with the best dynamic sound available on a Galaxy device to date, with enhanced stereo effect and clearer sound provided by high-dynamic dual speakers.
- Solid Design and Expert Craftsmanship – The Galaxy Z Fold2 5G is re-engineered with a sleek, unified design that delivers a slim, lightweight device. Samsung’s Ultra Thin Glass is now on the Main Screen, providing a more premium and durable feel for the display. Its design is anchored by the Hideaway Hinge, which fits seamlessly into the device body with the CAM mechanism and enables free standing capabilities – that power all new Flex Mode experiences. Galaxy Z Fold2 5G also employs sweeper technology, first introduced on the Galaxy Z Flip, within the gap between the body and hinge housing to repel dust and undesirable particles. As Galaxy Z Fold2 5G features a third-generation refined design, the space for the sweeper structure is even smaller than on Galaxy Z Flip. To achieve this, Samsung developed new innovative sweeper technology to achieve the same level of protection in a smaller space. The Galaxy Z Fold2 5G Hideaway Hinge features revolutionary slim cutting technology, modified fibre composition and adjusted fibre density.
- Customisable to Match Your Style – For those looking to stand out even more, Samsung is offering an online tool to customise your Galaxy Z Fold2 with four distinct Hideaway Hinge colours – Metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, Metallic Red, and Metallic Blue. Now you can create the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G that perfectly complements your unique style, adding a personalised touch to premium design.
Capture and View Exactly How You Want
The innovative foldable form factor and its sophisticated design are taken to the next level with unique mobile experiences on the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G. The Galaxy Z Fold2 5G pairs Flex Mode with App Continuity to provide expanded usability, crossing the boundary between the Cover and Main Screen. This flexibility enables you to create or view content that is curated to your exact preferences, with seamless transitions between folded and unfolded.
- A Device That is as Flexible and Productive as You Are – With Flex Mode, it’s now easier than ever to capture content and review in real time. With Capture View Mode, now you won’t have to leave the Camera app. Clearly see the photo or video you just took or review up to five of your most recent captures on the bottom half of the Main Screen, and the preview of your next shot will be on the top half.Or take your creativity one step further with Auto framing. Whether you’re jumping in on the latest social dance or showing off your cooking skills, the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G can record hands-free video and keep the subject in focus even when it moves.
- Features to Support Your Creativity – Rethink photography by incorporating both the photographer and subject’s perspective into getting the shot. Using the Main and Cover Screen at the same time with Dual Preview, both parties can see what’s being captured. What’s more, thanks to the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G’s flexibility, take a high-quality selfie with the rear cameras using the Cover Screen as the viewfinder.
- Flagship Camera Features – The Galaxy Z Fold2 5G’s camera also offers flagship-level camera quality and control. With Pro Video mode, Single Take, Bright Night and Night Mode, the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G helps you capture the moment in stunning quality.
Maximise Every Moment
The Galaxy Z Fold2 5G aligns next generation mobile productivity with advanced multitasking capabilities thanks to new intuitive ways to interact. Get the most out of your day by tailoring the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G’s tablet-sized Main Screen to fit in with your working style.
- Seamless Multitasking – Redefine productivity with advanced Multi-Active Window to control your screen layout with more ease and flexibility. Experience more productivity now that you can open multiple files from the same app at the same time, viewing them side by side. With an improved Multi-Window Tray, you can open multiple apps at once with the integration of App Pair and the Edge Panel to enjoy added convenience. With drag and drop, you can simply drag text, images and documents from one app to another for instant transfer. Or quickly screen capture in one app and transfer the captured image into another seamlessly with Split Screen Capture.
- Optimised App Interactions to Support Your Flow – Choose the most optimised UI on the Main Screen to suit your needs. Quickly and easily switch layouts between a large screen layout or traditional phone layout in the Settings.
- Optimised App Display– Maximise every moment in your daily life and upgrade the viewing experience of your favourite apps, including Gmail, YouTube and Spotify. Use the Main Screen with Office apps in Microsoft 365 to mimic the tablet experience. For example, use Microsoft Outlook to its true potential by viewing your inbox on the left side with current conversations at the same time. Draft Word documents, Excel spreadsheets or PowerPoint presentations with PC-like toolbar arrangements.
Galaxy Leadership Strengthened by Strategic Partnerships
Samsung has an open and collaborative approach to partnerships. Through a long-standing partnership with Google, Samsung established an open ecosystem for foldable devices. With this partnership, Samsung has fostered foldable UX innovation to realise the goal of creating the ultimate form factor. Furthermore, a trusted partnership with Microsoft, combined with the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G’s advanced hardware and large screen experience, allows users to maximise their productivity in mobile environments.
Building on its longstanding legacy of Galaxy leadership, Samsung once again pushes the boundaries of mobile innovation and engineering. With the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, users can access ultra-fast speeds thanks to its full 5G band compatibility, while the 4,500mAh All Day Battery and Super Fast Charging means you can do more without worrying about your battery life. Galaxy Z Fold2 5G also offers Samsung DeX wireless connection for clutter free work productivity, while UWB (Ultra Wide Band) technology is integrated into the device making it quick and easy to share files, photos or videos with Nearby Share.
Innovative Technology Meets Refined Design: The Galaxy Z Fold2 5G Thom Browne Edition
Samsung and Thom Browne continue their collaboration to deliver a unique vision of innovative technology and refined design with the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G Thom Browne Edition. Following the success of the Galaxy Z Flip Thom Browne Edition, the second release further explores its shared ethos to provide a deeper level of hardware and software integration. The geometric grey and signature multicolour stripe is complemented by a grosgrain pattern, creating a visual texture of fabric on Galaxy Z Fold2 5G’s unique design. Software additions, including a new lock screen and exclusive photo filter, digitise the Thom Browne world and bring a sense of luxury into every interaction.
Each Thom Browne Edition Package includes the Galaxy Z Fold2, Galaxy Watch3, Galaxy Buds Live and an array of fully customised accessories all featuring elements of Thom Browne’s iconic design.
Galaxy Z Premier Service
Galaxy Z Fold2 5G owners can access Galaxy Z Premier Service: with on-demand concierge support from a dedicated team of product experts, it will now easier than ever to make appointments, connect one-on-one with experts, and discover how to unlock the unique experiences that the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G enables. Galaxy Z Fold2 5G users will also be provided the best mobile experiences possible by supporting three generations of Android operating system (OS) upgrades.
The Galaxy Z Fold2 5G will be available for £1,799 in Mystic Black and Mystic Bronze, on 18th September, with pre-orders from 1st September. Customised options will be available for customers via Samsung.com with four distinct colours for the hinge: Metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, Metallic Red and Metallic Blue.
The limited edition Galaxy Z Fold2 5G Thom Browne Package will be available for pre-order from 1st September in the UK before general sale on 25th September at £2,999, exclusively on Samsung.com and Harrods.
For more information about the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G and Galaxy Z Fold2 5G Thom Browne edition, visit www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-z-fold2/
|Galaxy Z Fold2 5G Product Specifications|
– 7.6” QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display (22.5:18) Infinity Flex Display (2208 x 1768), 373ppi
– 6.2” HD+ Super AMOLED Display (25:9), 2260 x 816, 386ppi
*Main Screen: Screen measured diagonally as a full rectangle without accounting for the rounded corners. Actual viewable area is less due to the rounded corners.
|Dimension & Weight||Folded: 68.0 x 159.2 x 16.8mm (Hinge) ~ 13.8mm(Sagging), 282g
Unfolded: 128.2 x 159.2 x 6.9mm(Frame) ~ 6.0mm(Screen) , 282g
|Camera||Cover Camera||10MP Selfie Camera : F2.2, Pixel size: 1.22μm, FOV: 80˚|
|Front Camera||10MP Selfie Camera: F2.2, Pixel size: 1.22μm, FOV: 80˚|
|Rear Triple Camera||12MP Ultra Wide Camera: F2.2, Pixel size: 1.12μm, FOV: 123˚
12MP Wide-angle Camera : Super Speed Dual Pixel AF, OIS, F1.8, Pixel size: 1.8μm, FOV: 83˚
|AP||7㎚ 64-bit Octa-Core Processor (3.09㎓ + 2.40㎓ + 1.80㎓)|
|Memory||12GB RAM with 256GB internal storage (UFS3.1)**
**Actual storage availability may depend on pre-installed software
|Battery||4500mAh (typical) dual battery*
*Typical value tested under third-party laboratory condition. Typical value is the estimated average value considering the deviation in battery capacity among the battery samples tested under IEC 61960 standard. Rated (minimum) capacity is 4365mAh. Actual battery life may vary depending on network environment, usage patterns and other factors.
|Charging||Super Fast Wired Charging and Fast Wireless Charging*
Wireless PowerShare***Wired charging compatible with QC2.0 and AFC, Wireless charging compatible with WPC and PMA
**Wireless PowerShare is limited to Samsung or other brand smartphones with WPC Qi wireless charging, such as Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Galaxy Note20, Galaxy Note20 Ultra Galaxy S20, S20+, S20 Ultra, Galaxy Z Flip, Galaxy Note10, Note10+, Galaxy S10e, S10, S10+ S9, S9+, S8, S8+, S8 Active, S7, S7 edge, S7 Active, S6, S6 edge, S6 Active, S6 edge+, Note9, Note8, Note FE, Note5, and wearables such as Galaxy Watch Active, Gear Sport, Gear S3, Galaxy Watch, and Galaxy Buds. May not work with certain accessories, covers, or other brand devices. May affect call reception or data services, depending on your network environment.
|Network||[LTE]*: Enhanced 4X4 MIMO, 7CA, LAA, LTE Cat.20
– Up to 2Gbps Download / Up to 200Mbps Upload[5G]**: Non-Standalone (NSA), Standalone (SA), Sub6 / mmWave
*Actual speed may vary depending on country, carrier, and user environment.**Requires optimal 5G connection. Actual speed may vary depending on market, carrier, and user environment.
|Connectivity||[Wi-Fi] 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax HE80 MIMO, 1024QAM
[Bluetooth]* Bluetooth® v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), USB type-C, NFC, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou)
[Ultra Wide Band]
|SIM Card||One eSIM and one Nano SIM
*SIM card sold separately. Availability may vary depending on country and carrier.
*eSIM requires a wireless service plan and allows you activate a mobile network plan without the use of a nano SIM. eSIM availability may vary depending on software version, country and carrier. Check with your carrier if your mobile network plan supports eSIM.
|Payment(Samsung Pay)||Credit & debit cards: supports MST and/or NFC
Membership cards, Gift cards, Transit cards, Reward point service
*Available in select countries. Payment solutions and available features may vary depending on country, carrier, and service providers.
|Sensors||Capacitive Fingerprint sensor (side), Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor, Proximity sensor, Light sensor|
|Authentication||Lock type: pattern, PIN, password
Biometric lock type: Fingerprint sensor*, Face recognition
*Galaxy Z Fold2 5G has a Capacitive Fingerprint sensor on the side.
Surround sound with Dolby Atmos technology (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus included.)
*DSD64 and DSD128 playback can be limited depending on the file format.
|Video||Video playback format: MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
TV connection: Wireless: Smart View (screen mirroring 1080p at 30fps) / Wired: supports DisplayPort over USB type-C. Supports video out when connecting via HDMI Adapter. (DisplayPort 4K UHD at 60 fps)
|Security||Knox protection: real-time monitoring and protection.
Virus, malware prevention. (Powered by McAfee)
Secure Folder: a secure space on the device to keep content such as apps, photos and videos, secured by fingerprint scanning.
*Virus and malware prevention solution providers may vary depending on country. Availability may vary by market and carrier.
|Colours|| [Essential Colour]
Mystic Black, Mystic Bronze
[Customisation Hinge Colour]*Metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, Metallic Red, Metallic Blue* Hideaway Hinge colour customisation will be available in 22 markets, including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Korea, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, UAE, United Kingdom, United States and Vietnam.
|In the Box||Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Data Cable, Travel Adapter, Ejection Pin, Quick Start Guide,
Earphones (USB Type-C) with sound by AKG, Galaxy Z Premier Service Leaflet, Brand Story Leaflet
*All specifications and descriptions provided herein may be different from the actual specifications and descriptions of the product. Samsung reserves the right to make changes to this page and the contents herein, including without limitation, functionality, features, specifications, GUI, images, videos, benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, capabilities, and any other product information, without notice.
 Display measurements are diagonal, and actual viewable area is less due to rounded corners and camera hole punch.
 Galaxy Z Fold2 5G can stand on its own from 75 to 115 degrees; a broader range of angles may be accessible for users depending on environment and use case
 Hinge customisation will be available exclusively on Samsung.com in 21 select markets starting from September 1st, 2020 (Available markets: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, UAE, United Kingdom, United States and Vietnam).
 Flex mode is supported by Samsung native apps (Camera, Video call, Gallery, Video player, Clock, Calendar, Calculator) and other third-party partner apps including YouTube, Google Duo and more to come.
 App Continuity works with select applications; compatible apps growing through third party developers.
 Capture View Mode also available when fully unfolded. To use, press “Capture View Mode” located in the right upper portion of the camera UI.
 When more than 3 people are detected, the frame zooms out. Front (wide) and Rear (Ultra-wide) cameras are available. Trackable distance is approximately 1.5 – 2.5 meters. This machine learning algorithm detects human face and body to track the subject’s movement.
 Galaxy Z Fold2 5G does not support 8K video recording (4K max).
 Single Take captures images and video up to 15 seconds.
 Only for Wide-angle rear camera.
 Users can also use Multi-Active Window on the Cover Screen with two windows split horizontally. Multi Active Window works with select applications; compatible apps growing through third party developers.
 Currently available with three native apps including Samsung Notes, Internet, Myfiles and Office apps in Microsoft 365. (Currently only available between different functions).
 Drag and drop functionality works with select applications, including Samsung native apps including Gallery, Internet, Message, Myfiles, Samsung Notes and others including Office apps in Microsoft 365, Microsoft OneDrive, Microsoft Outlook, Gmail, Chrome, Google Maps.
 Available with 11 Samsung native apps including Message, Contacts, Phone, Myfiles, Internet, Calendar, Clock, Video call, Reminder, Calculator, AR zone, Google apps such as YouTube, Gmail, Google Maps, Microsoft apps including Microsoft Outlook and other third-party apps such as Spotify.
 5G speeds vary and require optimal network and connection (factors include frequency, bandwidth, congestion); see carrier for availability.
 Estimated against the usage profile of an average/typical user. Independently assessed by Strategy Analytics between 2020.07.25–2020.08.04 in UK with pre-release versions of SM-F916 under default setting using 5G Sub6 networks (NOT tested under 5G mmWave network). Actual battery life varies by network environment, features and apps used, frequency of calls and messages, number of times charged, and many other factors.
 When using the included charger and cable.
 Samsung DeX wireless connection is available on smart TVs that support Phone Screen mirroring only. (For the optimal experience, use on Samsung Smart TVs launched 2019 or later.)
 Availability of UWB function may vary by market and/or by applicable law
 Nearby Share availability may vary by market or carrier.
 Z Concierge service availability may vary by market. Full information on Galaxy Z Premier Service is available at Samsung.com.
 Availability of Android OS upgrades and features may vary by device and market. Upgrade schedule will depend on factors including but not limited to complexity of the update, model, as well as market penetration and more.