Laundry 101: Nation’s Biggest Fails When Washing Their Christmas Party Clothes Ahead of the Festive Season
• Shrinking clothes by accidentally washing them on a higher temperature (48%) and mixing colours and spoiling clothes (48%) are the nation’s top laundry fails
• Christmas favourites - red wine, gravy, and cranberry sauce are amongst the top food and drink UK adults avoid at a party due to fear they’ll stain their outfit
• Silk, suede, and velvet are the top three fabrics the nation is worried about knowing how to get stains out of
LONDON, UK – 2nd December 2022 – With Christmas party season just around the corner, research reveals the nation’s biggest fails when it comes to washing their party clothes, from accidentally washing items on a higher temperature and shrinking them (48%), to mixing and spoiling colours (48%).
The study by Samsung Electronics Co Ltd. found that 44% of people aged 25-34 are planning on going to a Christmas party this year, but this age group are not confident in getting stains out of their festive outfits by hand washing the garment (31%) or taking it to the dry cleaners (20%). Top food and drink UK adults avoid at Christmas parties to avoid stains include festive favourites, such as red wine (28%), gravy (16%) and cranberry sauce (15%). Other foods on the list also include beetroot (30%), berries (15%) and coffee (12%).
One in three (33%) UK adults aged 25-34 have a spare party outfit, such as a little black dress, on standby which they pull out and pop on for last-minute get togethers. Fabrics that the nation would be worried about knowing how to clean or get stains out of include silk (32%), suede (32%) and velvet (25%), followed by satin (23%) and wool (20%). And the most likely reasons for having to clean a party outfit include a spilled drink (17%), food (11%) and make-up (8%) stains.
To overcome these issues, Samsung Electronics Ltd. has partnered with leading fashion expert, Olivia Miller, to share the best ways to avoid any party outfit mishaps.
Olivia Millers ‘top tips’ on party outfits and how best to launder your clothes to get them party-ready:
- To prevent make-up transfer, spray hairspray on any clothing that touches close to your face, for example the collar, wait 15-20 minutes before putting the clothing item on and make-up will no longer stick or transfer!
- The top three foods or drinks that UK adults would avoid on a night out if they were going to a party, in fear that it would stain their outfit are: Beetroot, Red Wine and Tomato Ketchup. Luckily stains from all of these can be removed (even if they are stubborn), the key is to treat a wine stain immediately if possible and do not dry or add heat to the garment until the stain is completely removed, or else the stains will shrink into the fibres, making it difficult for stain removers to dilute and work their magic! What’s more, a steam function on a washing machine helps to kill any bacteria and germs left behind, whilst many washing machines are now equipped with the clever ability to work out how much detergent is needed depending on how dirty your clothes are which is ideal in this scenario.
- Be sure to always check the label for washing instructions and use the correct setting on your washing machine. I opt for the delicate garments setting, always wash the item inside out and use a mesh laundry bag for protection. A super speedy wash is always an option for those items that simply need a quick refresh and ensure you wash on a cold setting to avoid any shrinking of clothes, whilst also saving energy.
- To prevent fake tan transfer on clothes, use talcum powder around areas like the armpits, backs of knees, under the bra or any tight pieces of clothing. If you do stain clothes with fake tan, act fast and soak with a stain removal treatment (overnight if possible) and then launder as normal in your washing machine on the most appropriate setting.
Tanya Weller, Marketing Director of Home Appliances, Samsung Electronics (UK & Ireland) Ltd., said: “Samsung’s new 11kg Washing Machines are the perfect product for those looking to upgrade their current machine. This new range of large-capacity Washing Machines benefit from being in the most efficient A-rated energy class. Our innovative AI powered ecobubble™ Technology produces bubbles that help wash clothes at cooler temperatures, meaning you can remove those stubborn stains with less heat so you’ll save on energy bills as well. In addition, with our SpaceMax™ Technology, we have a larger-sized drum allowing for greater wash loads – perfect for the busy social calendar around Christmas time!
What’s more, our AirDresser is ideal for refreshing clothing by removing dust, getting rid of 99% of odours1, eliminating germs, and smoothing out any wrinkles, perfect for those who are looking to stay stylish over the party season”
Press Resources > Press Release