Samsung Launches Comedy Channel – and it’s Certainly a Laughing Matter!
• Shows to include Taskmaster Best Bits, Russell Howard‘s Good News & US Hit Sitcom ‘Hot in Cleveland’
• Channel available exclusively in the UK on Samsung TV Plus
London, UK – 4 December 2020 – Samsung Electronics UK Ltd today launches its very own comedy channel, Comedy. Exclusive to the UK, Comedy is available to all users through its entertainment hub, Samsung TV Plus.
Packed with some of the nation’s favourite shows, Samsung’s Comedy channel features names and familiar faces from the world of comedy both in the UK and across the pond, including Russell Howard and Dave Gorman.
Comedy is the latest addition to Samsung TV Plus, offering Smart TV owners instant free access to 80 live and on-demand TV channels including all the latest additions such as Bloomberg+ 4K, Euronews Live, Fuel TV and Qwest, alongside multiple Rakuten and Pluto channels and other family favourites.
Samsung’s Comedy Channel– it’s a laughing matter!
Samsung’s Comedy channel will bring customers hours of entertainment – with a mix of great UK and US comedy content, from Russell Howard’s adventures with his mum and his much needed positive take on the news with his acclaimed hit show ‘Good News’, to chuckling along to the best bits of ‘Taskmaster’ – you’ll be hard-pressed not to laugh when watching Comedy. For those looking for the next binge-watch, viewers can watch all six seasons of award-winning US sitcom ‘Hot in Cleveland’, which is exclusive to the channel, as well as British favourite ‘Dave Gorman Modern Life is Goodish’ series.
“Since the UK launch of Samsung TV Plus in 2019, we have continuously looked at how we can expand and evolve our channel offering to guarantee our Smart TV customers the very best content offerings. We are exceptionally pleased to be able to launch our very own Comedy channel, providing fun entertainment for anyone who enjoys light-hearted TV shows. With iconic comedy shows from across the world, this is a great step for Samsung as we continue to branch out our offering into the wider entertainment sector” said Deep Halder, Head of TV/AV Retail and Content Services, Samsung Electronics UK Ltd.
“We are delighted to partner with Samsung at this exciting time, and to have these shows available as part of their brand-new comedy channel line-up” said Isobel Hughes, Director of Distribution, Avalon.
“It’s inspiring working with some of the most talented comedy creators from around the world and a delight to be sharing their brilliant content with the Samsung TV Plus audience. We’ve had such fun curating 21 award-winning micro-comedies, from some absolute classics to the very latest lockdown laughs, all guaranteed to make the whole family smile. We look forward to developing our exciting partnership with Samsung and continuing our mission to make quality, short-form content mainstream and accessible to billions” said Jaine Green, Head of Content, discover.film.
Full listings below:
- Dave Gorman Modern Life is Goodish, Seasons 1 – 5 – Armed with a computer, clicker and checked shirt, Dave casts an eye over modern life in his own unique style combining stand-up, visual storytelling, and real-world experimentation. In these mischievous comedy performances, Dave turns his attention to the areas of everyday life we normally take for granted – scrutinising the absurdities and contradictions that continue to fascinate and infuriate him. Produced by Avalon.
- Russell Howard & Mum: USA Road Trip, Seasons 1 -2 – Russell Howard and his “twinkly eyed smasher of a mum” Ninette Howard embark on an epic trip across the USA, meeting an array of weird and wonderful characters and experiencing their unusual hobbies and obsessions. On their tour of the USA, Russell and Ninette hang out with Guns N’ Roses drummer Steven Adler and Kiss’s Paul Stanley at LA’s world famous Rock And Roll Fantasy Camp, where they have just 48 hours to form a band and perform their first ever gig in the heart of Hollywood. In Las Vegas, they don make-up and dresses in beauty queen training ahead of judging a Mrs. Globe Pageant during which Ninette takes an unlikely shine to a contestant. At a cowboy ranch in Oregon, they say goodbye to their city slicker ways and hello to life on the range through mastering the rope, cattle drive and a good old-fashioned hoedown. Produced by Avalon.
- Russell Howard’s Good News, Seasons 1 – 10 – The acclaimed hit show with a trademark mix of topical stand-up and sketches, and an inspirational often thought-provoking story to close on a feel-good note, offers Russell’s unique and quirky take on the week’s global headlines and bizarre news stories. Sifting through over 60 international news channels, 140 newspapers from around the world and over a thousand news clips, no stone is left unturned in his pursuit of the weird and wonderful stories that have been dominating the press and TV news. Produced by Avalon.
- Hot in Cleveland, Seasons 1 – 6 – Three fabulous best friends from LA ‐ novelist Melanie Moretti (Valerie Bertinelli), eye‐brow archer to the stars Joy Scroggs (Jane Leeves) and former soap star Victoria Chase (Wendie Malick) – find their lives changed forever when their plane, headed for Paris, makes an unexpected landing – in Cleveland. This show has been acquired from Banijay Rights and is exclusive to Samsung TV Plus.
- Taskmaster Moments, 21 “Best of” Compilations – BAFTA winning comedy entertainment show Taskmaster stars Greg Davies as the incomparable and all-powerful Taskmaster, with his faithful sidekick and general dogsbody Alex Horne sat by his side, scoring the efforts of five top comedians as they tackle perplexing and extraordinary challenges in the name of critically acclaimed entertainment. These “best bits” include eating as much watermelon as possible in one minute, and throwing a tea bag into a mug from the furthest distance. Produced by Avalon.
Also featuring on the channel are 21 short films from the quality, short film platform discover.film including:
- My Dear Gnome – When two unlikely friends end up playing a board game together things take an unlikely turn in this quirky French animation.
- Mousetrap – Can an old board game help these two friends figure out if there is life after death?
- Run By Fruiting – Two friends are bored in lockdown until one tries to lighten the mood…
The new Samsung Comedy channel available on the Samsung TV Plus service is now live. For further information, please visit https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/smart-tv/samsung-tv-plus/
Notes to Editors:
With medium risk content, it is a channel for adults. Expect light swearing during daytime where used in a humorous, indirect manner.