Samsung Welcomes New European Union Energy Efficiency Standards and Reaffirms its Commitment to Innovation of Responsibly Designed Products
London, UK – 09th March 2021 – Samsung Electronics UK Ltd. will see the entry of new European Union energy labels for household appliances. This has been set out in new legislation approved by the European Commission relating to specific consumer electronic appliances including refrigerators, washing machines, washer-dryers and dishwashers.
For the first time, these labels will include a QR code which will provide additional, official (non-commercial) information – drawn from the European Product Database for Energy Labelling – when scanned with a smartphone.
Samsung welcomes the European Union’s drive to accelerate the innovation and production of energy efficient electronic appliances and hold manufacturers accountable to higher standards, while at the same time introducing new labelling requirements that offer consumers across Europe greater transparency, understanding and choice.
At the centre of Samsung’s design philosophy is developing innovative products that are energy efficient and use both recycled and eco-friendly materials to reduce their environmental impact. Samsung’s commitment to constantly improving the sustainability performance of its products starts at the beginning of a product’s lifecycle, through its Eco-design Process.
The Eco-design Process enables Samsung to plan and develop products that have greater energy efficiency, use fewer resources and eliminate hazardous substances. It ensures alignment with all global environmental regulations and requirements, as well as encourages Samsung to take voluntary steps and pursue ideas to create responsibly designed products for its customers.
Rachael Ward, Marketing & Product Director, Home Appliances, Samsung Electronics UK Ltd. says: “At Samsung, we are striving to create world class environment-friendly home appliances, through efforts including development of advanced energy saving technologies and creative new product concepts such as customisable modular refrigerators. The new labelling will guarantee transparency on higher efficiency standards, closer attention to sustainability, and easier understanding of the grading system of household appliances.”
WASHING MACHINES: LAUNDRY IS READY WITH SMART CONTROL+
In the laundry segment, Samsung’s Smart Control+ range of washing machines meets the highest standards of the new energy labels, awarded energy grade A and B. With Artificial Intelligence, the Smart Control+ range customises the washing process, adapting it to the consumer’s preferences, and detecting the weight of the laundry, before dispensing the appropriate amount of water and detergent using Auto Dose. The washing machine can also cleverly link with a compatible dryer via Auto Cycle Link*, so the tumble dryer can automatically select an optimal setting once the wash cycle ends.
The range of Smart Control+ washing machines include: QuickDrive™, AddWash™, and Auto Dose™.
The “eco” features that apply to the whole Smart Control+ range include:
Furthermore, depending on the specific needs of consumers, the various lines also offer a range of the following distinctive features:
- QuickDrive™ technology uses a super speed cycle to give users a clean load in just 39 minutes on a 5kg load.
- AddWash™ line has a door in the door, letting users add anything they have forgotten to the wash at any time***, avoiding new cycles.
- Auto Dose™ function knows just the right amount of detergent for any load.
REFRIGERATORS: EXCELLENT ENERGY PERFORMANCE FOR FOOD CONSERVATION
The modular design of Samsung’s BESPOKE refrigerators – coming to the UK later this year- offers customers the flexibility to tailor their fridge by adding additional units or replacing the door panels according to their individual lifestyle and design needs. The BESPOKE has a series of different platforms (Tall 1-Door Fridge/Freezer, BMF) that allows users to minimise spatial waste when installing their customised fridge configurations. Aside from its modular design, the BESPOKE line-up also includes features that help minimise both energy and food waste.
The features that make this level of energy conservation possible include:
- SpaceMax™ Technology makes the walls slimmer, so the same size fridge on the outside has larger capacity inside.
- Digital Inverter Compressor monitors and adjusts temperature to keep it constantly perfect, making fridges more efficient.
- Twin Cooling™ controls the refrigerator and freezer independently with two separate evaporators and precise electronic control. This helps to maintain desired temperatures in both the fridge and freezer, which preserves food in the best conditions to minimise food waste.
- Metal Cooling keeps food fresh, even if users frequently open and close the fridge door. The metal plate in the rear wall helps maintain the optimal internal temperature by retaining the cold and preventing the loss of cool air whenever the door is open.
In addition to innovative, environmentally-friendly technologies, BESPOKE refrigerators are also equipped with features that improve the utilisation of interior storage compartments:
- CoolSelect Zone allows users to switch freezer compartments at the bottom of the fridge, with three variations of precise temperature control.
- Optimal Fresh+ box is a multi-purpose compartment that can be split into two zones with different temperatures, making it ideal for storing items that require different temperatures but need to be kept separately, such as meats and vegetables.
- Rack & Shelf™ is a multi-purpose wine rack, which is not only an elegant way to store your favourite bottles, but makes more space on your shelves for the food to enjoy with it.
The new regulations are for European consumers and will also apply in non-EU countries.
For more information about Samsung’s product portfolio and new energy efficiency ratings please visit: https://www.samsung.com/uk/home-appliances/learn/energy-efficiency-rating-label-changes/