Samsung Electronics Wins 38 iF Design Awards
SEOUL, Korea – February 27, 2016 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., today announced that it won 38 iF Design Awards, including one Gold award, at the world renowned International Forum Design Awards 2016. Twenty-six of the awards were given for superior product design, eight for communication design, two for concept design, one for package design and one for interior architecture design.
“We are honored to be recognized by the International Forum Design for our excellence in product design,” said BK Yoon, President and CEO of Samsung Electronics and the Head of Corporate Design Center at Samsung. “We will continue to challenge ourselves and develop innovative designs that benefit our consumers based on our deep insights into their needs.”
Samsung received the Gold award for its Serif TV, a result of its focus on design that harmoniously interacts with people’s surrounding environments and naturally blends in with everyday furniture and various household objects. Main features of the Serif TV include: a design that resembles a capital “I” in serif font; a detachable stand, which allows the product to be placed anywhere within the home without standing out; and a fabric cover on the back side of the product, which heightens its beauty from every angle.
In addition to the Gold award, Samsung won a total of 26 iF Design Awards in the product category:
• Galaxy S6 & S6 edge: Both smartphones feature a harmonious design of metal and glass parts, and the Galaxy S6 edge features the first dual-edge display on either sides.
• Chef Collection Fridge: A refrigerator for the European market, featuring a Kitchen Fit design that seamlessly integrates with the surrounding kitchen furniture without needing additional built-in construction.
• AddWash Front-load Washing Machine: A washer with a distinctive access door that makes it convenient to add any item during a wash cycle without opening the main washer door.
• System Air Conditioner 360Cassette: A circular, ceiling-mounted system air conditioner that controls the temperature of the room by providing an even distribution of air across a full 360 degree range.
• MX3: A3 Multifunction Printer with a 7 inch LCD screen for easy operation.
• Galaxy Note5 UX: A smartphone UX that allows consumers to write a memo with an S Pen without turning on the screen. Awarded in the communications category.
• Visual Identity Toolkit: A visual identity toolkit that provides a unified guideline for all digital and printed media of Samsung Printing Solutions. Awarded in the communications category.
• TV UI (Stripe UI): An intuitive TV user interface that offers consumers a novel experience in navigating media content. Awarded in the professional concept design category.
iF Design Awards began in Germany in 1953, and is organized by the International Forum Design. Product submissions are based on a comprehensive evaluation of design, material suitability, innovativeness and seven additional categories: Product, Packaging, Communication, Interior Architecture, Professional Concept, Service Design and Architecture.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. inspires the world and shapes the future with transformative ideas and technologies that redefine the worlds of TVs, smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, cameras, digital appliances, printers, medical equipment, network systems, and semiconductor and LED solutions. We are also leading in the Internet of Things space with the open platform SmartThings, our broad range of smart devices, and through proactive cross-industry collaboration. We employ 319,000 people across 84 countries with annual sales of US $196 billion. To discover more, and for the latest news, feature articles and press material, please visit the Samsung Newsroom at news.samsung.com.