Samsung Solve for Tomorrow: 10 Student Teams Pitch 10 Bold STEM Ideas; Three National Winners Revealed
Samsung Electronics America hosted the final round of its 13th annual Samsung Solve for Tomorrow competition at the Samsung Solutions Center in the heart of Washington, D.C. The STEM competition was livestreamed on this page on the following dates and times:
- National Finalists Pitch Event: Monday, May 15, 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. ET (pitch session #1) & 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. ET (pitch session #2)
- National Winners Reveal Event: Tuesday, May 16, 8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. ET
Solve for Tomorrow is a national competition that challenges U.S. public school students in grades 6-12 to explore the role science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) can play in solving some of the biggest issues in their local communities. The program engages students in active, hands-on learning that can be applied to real-world problems – making STEM more tangible and showcasing its value beyond the classroom.
Monday, May 15: National Finalists Pitch Event
Representing the very best of more than one thousand competition entrants, 10 National Finalists from public middle and high schools in Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, Indiana, Texas, and West Virginia presented their exceptional STEM solutions at a live pitch event on May 15 to a panel of esteemed judges. These ten student teams addressed global warming, transportation safety, veterans’ PTSD, unhoused refugees, the pollinator collapse, and more.
- Tuesday, May 16: National Winners Reveal EventThe next day, three schools were declared National Winners, receiving $100,000 in Samsung technology and supplies for their classrooms.Moreover, three additional honors were awarded:
- One of the 50 State Winners was honored as our Sustainability Innovation Award Winner, receiving an added $50,000 prize package of eco-conscious Samsung technology.
- Of the 10 National Finalists, one school that was selected through online public voting was named Community Choice Winner, earning an added $10,000 prize package.
- Samsung employees named one team Employee Choice Winner from the 10 National Finalists, and they too received an added $10,000 prize.
For more information on the three National Winners, one Sustainability Innovation Award Winner, one Community Choice Winner, and one Employee Choice Winner, as well as the Samsung leaders, U.S. Senators, and other special guests that attended, please head here.