Samsung to support U.S. communities in the fight against COVID-19
- Samsung U.S. businesses donate $4.3 million to help partners in local communities.
- Samsung Electronics global efforts to date surpass $33 million.
- U.S. donations are directed to local partners in neighborhoods where a majority of Samsung's U.S. employees live and work.
At Samsung, we have a long tradition of supporting the health and vitality of our communities. Our company and our employees have generously given to schools, charitable causes and local institutions to address hometown needs across the United States. Our philosophy is simple – our business and employees thrive when our partners and communities thrive.
With nearly 20,000 employees spread across the U.S., our top priority remains to keep them and their families healthy and safe during this unprecedented time. This extends to the communities in which they call home.
Since the onset of COVID-19, we have worked to supply Samsung products and technology to aid frontline healthcare workers in local hospitals across New York and New Jersey. To assist school systems with their transition to remote learning, we have built on the 10 years of our Solve for Tomorrow program by expediting the delivery of nearly $3 million in technology and supplies to local schools across the country. We continue to support consumers with round-the-clock care at Samsung.com and have extended our product warranties for those impacted by COVID-19.
Today, Samsung is continuing our community outreach by donating $4.3 million in COVID-19 relief to local partners in neighborhoods where a majority of our U.S. employees live and work. These donations build upon our global efforts to date, which now surpass $33 million.
To address educational needs, we will donate $300,000 through our Solve for Tomorrow partner, DonorsChoose, to benefit Keep Kids Learning which provides much-needed assistance for widespread closures in school districts around the country, focusing on California, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina, Texas and Washington.
To support local needs in the states with our largest workforces – California, New Jersey, and Texas – we will donate $1 million to each of the following four locations:
- New Jersey: The newly formed New Jersey Pandemic Relief Fund by the Community Foundation of New Jersey and First Lady Tammy Murphy, which will raise funds and organize and coordinate resources for New Jersey’s most vulnerable.
- California: Silicon Valley Strong, which provides economic relief for impacted people, small businesses and community-based organizations; MedShare, which sources and delivers medical supplies and healthcare equipment to local hospitals; and Second Harvest of Silicon Valley, which feeds children, families and seniors especially during this time of need.
- North Texas: United Way of Metropolitan Dallas to address the immediate and urgent needs of North Texans, as well as longer-term challenges that will affect education, income, and health outcomes.
- Central Texas: All Together ATX, a community-led philanthropic fund that will benefit people in the Greater Austin area with immediate needs including food insecurity, basic needs, medical needs, employment and child care; crisis support funds to several local school districts including Austin and Manor ISD and providing hunger relief through Central Texas Food Bank.
We are also humbled by the outpouring of support that our employees have given to organizations that are close to their hearts. Whether it is leveraging our matching gift programs or using their volunteer time off to give back virtually, we are so impressed by how our people have come together to help.
Samsung will continue to evaluate ways to stand strong with our communities. To our U.S. employees, customers, partners, and communities, we are grateful for your loyal support.
We’ll get through this, together.