Samsung’s Rugged T7 Shield Portable SSD Offers Durability and Fast Sustained Performance for Creative Professionals and Consumers On-the-Go
New, credit card size external SSD provides lightning-fast data transfer speeds in a drop, water and dust resistant design for content creation indoors and out
With no performance degradation when transferring large files, the T7 Shield is ideal for high-definition video recording and editing
Samsung Electronics Canada today announced the release of its latest external storage device, the T7 Shield Portable Solid State Drive (PSSD), bringing exceptional performance and reliability in a durable, credit card size design. The T7 Shield is the newest addition to the Samsung T7 Portable SSD family that includes the T7, a daily driver that provides incredibly fast speeds in a sleek design, and the T7 Touch, a CES award-winning PSSD with a built-in fingerprint sensor for enhanced data protection.
“When it comes to performance and durability, creative professionals and consumers need the confidence to store on-the-go knowing that their data is better protected even if the device is dropped, exposed to water or dust, or used in the heat,” said Mary Peterson, Vice President, IT and Enterprise Solutions, Samsung Electronics Canada. “Offering extensive compatibility, the T7 Shield supports multiple devices, including PC, android smartphone, and game console.”
The T7 Shield is Samsung’s most durable PSSD to date, making it ideal for outdoor content creators or travelers who need data-rich experiences without data loss from exposure to the elements or life’s mishaps. Carefully engineered by Samsung from the inside out, the T7 Shield is shock-resistant from drops of up to three meters, while being IP65-certified as dustproof and water resistant. Despite the new rugged design, the T7 Shield is compact and lightweight, weighing a mere 98 grams.
The T7 Shield delivers a read speed of 1,050 megabytes per second (MB/s) and a write speed of 1,000 MB/s, which are incredibly fast transfer speeds currently available based on the USB 3.2 Gen2 standard. It is approximately twice as fast as its predecessor, the T5, and up to 9.5 times faster than external hard disk drives (HDDs), saving consumers, digital creators and professional’s valuable time.
Samsung has also optimized the inside and outside of the product, by changing the surface material and improving the software in the T7 Shield, to solve the performance degradation and overheating that occur when transferring large files. Due to this change, there is no performance degradation even when files of 2TB are moved at once, and heat generation is minimized, which help solve the inconvenience that consumers may experience. Through this, it is possible to transmit data stably without a drop in performance, even when performing data-heavy, continuous tasks such as high-quality video recording, editing, encoding and rendering. This alleviates concerns over inconsistent drive performance.
Wide Compatibility and Strong Security
Designed to work across multiple devices, Samsung’s T7 Shield can store large numbers of pictures, games as well as 4K and 8K videos, whether on a PC, iOS, Smartphone (Android), or game console. Additionally, the T7 Shield has strengthened security (*256-bit AES, Advanced Encryption Standard) with hardware encryption so that consumer data can be better protected even if the T7 shield is lost. Plus, it provides access to Samsung’s Magician Software which lets users conveniently manage the drive.
As with Samsung’s other portable SSD lineups, the T7 Shield uses one-third of the tray packaging compared to prior generations, while minimizing greenhouse gas emissions during its production through production efficiency.
Available in beige, black and blue to satisfy user preferences, the T7 Shield is offered in 1TB and 2TB sizes, making it suitable for a wide range of use cases. The drive comes with a USB Type-C-to-C cable and a USB Type-C-to-A cable, and includes a three-year limited warranty with the manufacturer’s suggested retail prices (MSRP) of $204.99 for the 1TB and $369.99 for the 2TB. The T7 Shield is available in Canada starting today. For more information, please visit Samsung.com.
Samsung Portable SSD T7 Shield Product Specifications
|Samsung Portable SSD T7 Shield|
|Interface||USB 3.2 Gen2 (10Gbps)|
|Dimensions||88 x 59 x 13mm (3.5 x 2.3 x 0.5 inches)|
|Weight||98 grams (3.47 oz)2)|
|Performance||Sequential Read||Up to 1,050 MB/sec3)|
|Sequential Write||Up to 1,000 MB/sec3)|
|Drop Resistant||Up to 3-meter5)|
|Security||Encryption||AES 256-bit hardware encryption|
|Software||Samsung Portable SSD 1.06)
Samsung Magician Software
|Compatibility||Windows 7 or higher, Mac OS X 10.10 or higher,
Android Lollipop or higher
|0°C to 60°C 7)|
|Non-Operating||-40°C to 85°C|
|Humidity||5% to 95% non-condensing|
|Shock||Non-Operating||1,500G, duration: 0.5ms, 3 axis|
|Certifications||CE, BSMI, KC, VCCI, C-tick, FCC, IC, UL,
TUV, CB, EAC, UKCA, BIS
|RoHS Compliance||RoHS 2|
|Warranty||Three (3) Year Limited Warranty8)|
1) 1 GB=1,000,000,000 bytes, 1 TB=1,000,000,000,000 bytes. Lower capacity may be demonstrated by computers due to use of a different measurement standard.
2) Exact weight of product may vary by capacity.
3) Max data transfer speed is measured based on Samsung’s internal testing standards with the enclosed cable. Performance may vary depending on host configuration, cable and user system environment.
4) T7 Shield has a IP65 rating based on internal testing conducted under controlled conditions. Water and dust resistance capabilities may vary depending on the actual environmental conditions. Damage caused by liquid and dust are not covered under warranty.
**IPX5 Test condition: Based on internal testing. Consistent with IP65 rating, tested under controlled conditions: water flow of 100kPa for 3 minutes. Water resistant capabilities may vary depending on the actual conditions.
**IP6X Test condition: Device was exposed to 2kg/m³ of active dust with a pressure under 2kPa for 8 hours in a vacuum chamber.
5) Based on internal testing. Tested to withstand up to 3 meters drop test was conducted under controlled conditions. Drop resistance may vary depending on the actual environmental conditions. Damage caused by drop is not covered under warranty.
6) T7 Series Software’s minimum System Requirements: Windows 7 or higher, Mac OS X 10.10 or higher, Android Lollipop or higher
7) Case Temperature is measured at the hottest point on the case. Sufficient airflow is recommended to be operated properly on heavier workload within device operating temperature.
8) Samsung Electronics shall not be liable for any loss, including but not limited to loss of data or other information contained in Samsung Electronics products and in storage devices, or loss of profit or revenue which may be incurred by user. For more information on warranty, please visit Samsung.com.