Samsung introduces updated GALAXY Smartphone naming strategy
We have so many names to remember these days, don’t we? We’re not just talking about friends and colleagues- that’s the easy part- we mean remembering usernames for different websites, passwords, website addresses, and names of all the different tech gadgets we use! Well Samsung Electronics has just announced the launch of a new naming strategy for its GALAXY range of Smartphones, coupled with four new additions to the GALAXY smartphone series—the GALAXY M Pro, GALAXY W, GALAXY Y and GALAXY Y Pro, all of which run on the powerful Android 2.3 Gingerbread mobile OS. Read on to find out the logic behind our naming strategy and so you can stay on top of all the different possibilities.
“As Samsung pushes forward in innovating and providing our consumers with an experience uniquely tailored to their needs, we have introduced steps to ensure our products are now even easier to identify,”
– JK Shin, President of Samsung’s Mobile Communications Business
New ways to identify your GALAXY Smartphones
Samsung’s new and simplified system of naming its smart phones uses five classes identified by a single alphabetical letter. This letter will represent a category to which the smartphone belongs (and will indicate the level of sophistication of the phone too!). Here are the categories:
• “S” (Super Smart) – these devices are at the very pinnacle of Samsung’s mobile portfolio-the “best in the class.”This class will only be used on flagship devices such as the Samsung Galaxy S, the award-winning smartphone that has already sold 10 million units throughout the world.
• “R” (Royal / Refined) – these are the premium category models, a combination of power, performance and productivity for the individual who wants to be defined by the technology they carry.
• “W” (Wonder) – these are the high quality, strategic models, perfect for those seeking a balance between style and performance.
• “M” (Magical) – Can you guess what the magic is? High-performance models at anlower cost.
• “Y” (Young) – These are entry models or strategic models for emerging markets or a younger audience more sensitive to price.
Devices will then be further designated by an additional “class indicator” which will identify specific functionality:
• “Pro” – This indicates that the device includes a QWERTY keyboard for texting and emails and increased productivity for professionals.
• “Plus” – This indicates that the device is an upgrade from an existing model.
• “LTE” – This indicates that the device is designed to utilize LTE (Long-Term Evolution) connectivity standards, a 4G standard to provide increased mobile network capacity and speed.
Successors to original models will be designated with an appropriate roman numeral, such as the Galaxy S II: Samsung’s ultra-premium flagship Android smartphone which has reached global sales of 5 million units in just 85 days.
Alright-we know you’re savvy and already know about the Galaxy S. Let’s take a look at some of our other phones in the Galaxy Suite.
The GALAXY W is seriously a perfect phone for almost anyone. Entertainment is a main feature – Samsung’s Game, Social and Music Hubs are provided, so users will always have something to do. If you’ve ever lost a phone before, you know how difficult it is to find. This phone is enabled with “Kies Air” which enables allow users who have misplaced their phone to track it, giving complete peace of mind. For the tech details, this phone is equipped with high-spec technology including a 1.4GHz Processor, HSDPA 14.4 Mbps connectivity and a large 3.7” touch screen.
Young professionals always have a lot of social obligations. The GALAXY M Pro provides a strong performance for high value. For example, a QWERTY keyboard provides swift, accurate typing on the go – enhancing productivity when drafting memos, documents and messages. The keyboard also simplifies communication with the Social Hub allowing users to talk to whoever they want, however they want, all from their contact list. Communication history, instant messaging and updates from social networking sites are all readily available.
In order to keep the interface easy to use, an optical track pad and touch screen have been integrated to this phone. This productivity and functionality is packed into a sleek 9.97m body. Designed with professionals in mind, the GALAXY M Pro offers extensive usabilitythrough a variety of enterprise solutions, including Exchange Active Sync, Sybase Afaria, CISCO Mobile and CISCO WebEx.
We know that smartphones are extremely popular with today’s younger generation. So we’ve got the Galaxy Y- compact but with a full range of features, the Galaxy Y allowsthe userto stay social on-the-go( with Samsung’s Social Hub, of course!). Seamless multitasking is no problem thanks to the device’s powerful 832MHz processor. Equipped with Samsung’s TouchWiz User Interface, the GALAXY Y delivers a simple and intuitive experience. Additionally, the inclusion of SWYPE facilitates speedy typing. We know that what the device looks like is also important to users, so the GALAXY Y is available in a variety of colors soit fits with anyone’s style.
the GALAXY Y Pro Smartphone is the perfect smartphonefor young professionals who need their phones for work life, home life, and their social life.Equipped with a QWERTY keyboard as well as enhanced social and professional features, userscan stay constantly connected with Social Hub Premium, which supports email, social network integration and instant messaging.
Again, an optimized, intuitive touch screen interface allows an accessible and intelligent experience. Knowing that many users of this phone will want to, work on the go, this phone comes equipped with ThinkFree mobile office, enabling a variety of Office documents (Word, PPT, Excel and PDF) to be accessed and edited from the handset. WiFi Direct also allows faster transfer rates, allowing content to be shared quickly.
“In addition to this new naming strategy at IFA this year we are proud to unveil the GALAXY M Pro, GALAXY W, GALAXY Y and GALAXY Y Pro – designed with the professional and social consumer in mind. These products further build on the phenomenal success we have enjoyed with the GALAXY range.”
– JK Shin, President of Samsung’s Mobile Communications Business
All features, specifications and other product information provided in this content, including but not limited to the pricing, design, components, performance, capabilities, services and availability of the product, may vary and are subject to the region where you are located.
Press Resources > Press Release