3 Ways to Discard and Reuse Old Devices This Holiday Gifting Season from Samsung Care
With the holiday season in full swing, many of us are hoping to find new smartphones, laptops, TVs, and other electronic devices under our tree. But what about your old, beloved devices? From trade-in to upcycling opportunities, we promise you they don’t just belong in the garbage or your personal junk drawer.
In the latest installment of our Care Advice column, we spoke with our Samsung Care experts, Nick Webert, Senior Director of Care Field Service Operation, and Jasper Morse, Director of Business Operations of Mobile Products Customer Care. Together, they break down three ways you can discard or re-use your old tech responsibly so you can feel good while doing good for the environment.
1. Trade-in Your Handheld Devices:
If you’re planning to upgrade, make your investment go further by trading in an eligible device and receive an instant trade-in value toward your new purchase. This way, your old gadgets don’t end up in a landfill and instead get a second chance at life through Certified Re-Newed. Don’t forget to back up your data beforehand turning your device in.
- If you’re using Samsung Cloud for backup, you can check the items and categories that have been backed up by logging into your Samsung Account. These steps ensure that your valuable data and photos remain secure and accessible, providing peace of mind as you prepare for the device reset.
- For Galaxy-to-Galaxy transfers, you can take advantage of Smart Switch for Galaxy-to-Galaxy transfers for a seamless process. Watch here.
2. Upcycle Your Device:
Bring life to your old device by repurposing your old phone, laptop or tablet by pairing it with the SmartThings From a phone to a baby or pet monitor, your device can transform into useful smart-home and lifestyle gadgets.
- With SmartThings, you can connect and control multiple devices quicker and easier. No matter where you are, you can monitor and control smart devices, home appliances, TVs, and speakers registered on the server.
- To get started, download the app on the App Store or Google Play Store and create a free account.
3. Recycle Responsibly:
From monitors, to mobile phones and home entertainment appliances, recycling is an easy and convenient way to make room for new gifts and gadgets. Feel free to leave your device cases and screen protectors on, as well as include existing cords and cable boxes when recycling!
- When it comes to small consumer electronic devices weighing less than 50 pounds, products can be recycled at a Samsung Experience Store or a uBreakiFix location near you.
- For televisions, check your local municipality or retailer guidelines for pick-up or drop-off options. Before recycling your TV or other appliances, ensure data security and eco-conscious disposal by removing any personal information. Learn more here.
Whether you are ready to depart with a beloved device or not, convenient and easy disposal options are at your fingertips. And if this holiday gifting season happens to leave you without a shiny, new gadget, choose repair as a gift that keeps on giving. Request a repair, test our self-repair or find a service location near you to have your old devices feel and look brand new.
Check back next month for more tips from our trusted Samsung Care team!