Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3 Rugged Tablet is Now Available in the US
With new enhancements for seamless workflow, and a growing partner ecosystem, Tab Active3 sets a new standard for ruggedized devices
Samsung today announced the U.S. availability of the Galaxy Tab Active3, a rugged tablet built to meet the rigors of today’s mobile workforce. Designed to help frontline workers increase efficiency and boost productivity in the harshest of environments—whether indoors, on the road, or in the field—the Tab Active3 delivers military-grade1 ruggedness in a sleek, lightweight tablet.
Tab Active3 brings back key capabilities of the award-winning Tab Active2—including its military-grade design, enhanced touch for use with gloves2, and a replaceable battery—and adds new innovations such as a programmable key, Wi-Fi 6/MIMO connectivity, and Samsung wireless DeX3. It enables multi-task performance using a single device, giving industries such as manufacturing, transportation, retail and the public sector a new tool to succeed through digital transformation.
“Frontline workers require the right tools to conduct business in a digital-first world, so we worked closely with our B2B customers and partners to understand what they need in a rugged device,” said Taher Behbehani, Head of the Mobile B2B Division, SVP and General Manager, Samsung Electronics America. “The Tab Active3 is a durable and sleek mobile business solution, created to streamline workflows, increase productivity and reshape how work gets done.”
Built for the Frontline
Rugged devices for business use are on the rise. According to IDC, 41 percent of U.S. enterprises are using or planning to purchase more rugged devices in 20214. Additionally, 93% of rugged devices shipped by 2024 are expected to be Android-based5, as more enterprises mobilize frontline workers.
Tab Active3 is tailored to meet these demands through military-grade MIL-STD-810H certification and IP68 rated6 water and dust resistance—able to withstand high altitudes, changes in temperature and humidity, and tough conditions. Other frontline features include Touch Sensitivity for tablet interaction while wearing work gloves, a ruggedized IP68 Certified S Pen that makes digital interaction simple in inclement weather, and a replaceable long-lasting 5050mAh battery7.
New Tab Active3 capabilities focus on boosting worker efficiency and productivity:
- Samsung wireless DeX delivers a PC-like experience while mobile by extending the tablet’s view onto a larger monitor or smart display, improving employee workflow and customer interactions.
- Wi-Fi 6 with MIMO connectivity helps workers keep up with digital business through greater data transfer speeds, even across large workforces using many devices simultaneously.
- A programmable key allows instant access to critical business apps, such as push-to-talk8, scanning, emergency functions, or other apps tailored to industry needs.
- ‘No Battery Mode’ supports operation without the battery—ideal for all day, in-vehicle use, such as in forklifts or trucks9.
- Knox Capture10 transforms Tab Active3 into an easy-to-use, flexible enterprise-grade barcode scanning solution.
A Rugged Solution Ecosystem
Samsung’s rugged portfolio is backed by an ecosystem of partners and customers with deep expertise in frontline industries, driving new solutions for specific business needs. Many have already developed applications for Samsung rugged devices, and will support Tab Active3, including: BusPatrol, Veras Retail and Mesilla Valley Transportation.
- Improving Student Safety: BusPatrol, a leader in stop-arm enforcement technology, uses Samsung rugged tablets to modernize school buses and improve student safety. Through integration with telematics, GPS and cellular data, Tab Active3 is the interface for school bus drivers to access modern safety tools provided by BusPatrol’s programs. This includes push-to-talk, sideload video stream, turn-by-turn navigation, inspection compliance reporting, and driver coaching.
- Assisted Selling for Retail: Veras Retail, a leading provider of omnichannel solutions for retailers, uses its Affinity AI-powered clienteling solution on Samsung rugged tablets to arm sales associates with personalized recommendations to better engage with shoppers. Through access to relevant data, associates can be aware of shopper preferences—before they start a conversation.
- Connected Vehicles: Mesilla Valley Transportation (MVT), a pioneering truckload carrier, equipped all of their 1,600 trucks with rugged Samsung tablets that use a cloud-based telematics solution from Platform Science. This improves in-cab experiences, and safely provides drivers with easy access to all apps, including workflow, routing, diagnostics, and electronic logging of service hours.
Samsung’s Leading Mobile Protection
Tab Active3 is the first U.S. tablet to be Enterprise Edition11-ready out of the box. Enterprise Edition includes a set of mobile services that provide administrators the ability to easily secure, deploy and manage mobile devices across a distributed workforce. This includes 1 year of Knox Suite, 3 years of market availability, and up to 5 years of security updates (click here for further details).
Additionally, Tab Active3 supports up to three generations of Android OS upgrades, provides regular Android security updates, and is protected by the company’s defense-grade Knox security platform from the chip up all the way to the apps.
The Samsung Tab Active3 is available in the U.S. today in Wi-Fi and LTE connected versions12 via Samsung’s distribution channels and Samsung.com. It will also launch as one of Samsung’s Android Enterprise Recommended (AER) devices upon its Android 11 upgrade13. Pricing starts at $489.99 for Wi-Fi and $589.99 for LTE models. For more information, visit here.
BusPatrol, Jean Souliere, CEO & Founder
“BusPatrol is the most deployed stop-arm program in North America, and we rely on advanced technology to make sure our program is both seamless and easy to use. After deploying thousands of Samsung Tab Active2 devices to fleets of school bus drivers, we look forward to bringing customers new benefits with Tab Active3. We needed a way to interface with all the safety tools we’re developing; something we could put in the hands of school bus drivers. Samsung’s rugged tablet became that dashboard—a device they rely on to make the journey to and from school safer for children.”
Platform Science, Scott Kopchinsky, VP of Engineering
“Platform Science is focused on providing the best in-cab driver experience for our enterprise customers in the trucking industry. Having a single secure and ruggedized mobile solution to access all essential information is a top priority for our fleet customers, and based on driver feedback on Tab Active2, we’re excited to bring our Connected Vehicle technology to customers using Tab Active3.”
Veras Retail, Rohit Vir, Founder & CEO
“We’re impressed with the versatility of Samsung’s rugged tablets, which offer key capabilities retailers need, in a sleek, highly-durable device—without using costly external sleds. Since Tab Active3 includes DeX, we can use it for many in-store capabilities, including powering customer- and associate-facing POS and displays, and connecting to peripherals like cash drawers and payment devices. This helps retail workers transition from serving customers to completing purchases, using one handheld device.”
IDC, Bryan Bassett, Senior Research Analyst
“When selecting leaders for IDC’s MarketScape for Worldwide Rugged Mobile Device Vendors report this year, Samsung was recognized for their rugged device portfolio. It delivers exceptional durability and a premium experience at a competitive price. The new Galaxy Tab Active3 addresses a range of rugged mobile use cases, and equips businesses with a digital solution to increase employee productivity through seamless workflow and advanced communications.”
Galaxy Tab Active3 Specifications
|Specifications (WiFi SM-T570/LTE SM-T577)|
|Display||8” WUXGA (1920 x 1200)|
|Chipset||Samsung Exynos 9810
Octa-core 2.7GHz + 1.7GHz
|LTE Support||4G FDD LTE|
|Memory||4GB, 64GB / 4GB, 128GB (microSD up to 1TB, sold separately)|
|Camera||13 MP, AF + 5.0 MP|
|Port||USB 3.1 Type C, Pogo Pin|
|Sensors||Accelerometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Proximity Sensor|
|Wireless Connectivity||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax 2.4G+5GHz, HE80, MIMO, 1024-QAM
|Dimensions, Weight||126.8 x 213.8 x 9.9mm, 426g(Wi-Fi) / 427g(LTE)|
|Battery||5050mAh, User Replaceable|
|Durability||IP68 Water and Dust Resistance, 1.5m Anti-shock with inbox protective cover, MIL-STD-810H|
|Pen||S Pen (IP68 Certified)|
|Security||Secured by Knox
Biometric Authentication (Face Recognition, Fingerprint Scanner)