Samsung TV Plus Unveils New Brand as Global FAST Platform Doubles Down on Premium Content, Exclusive Premieres & Key Partnerships
Samsung Electronics boosts investment in the future of free ad-supported TV
Samsung Electronics America, Inc. today ushered in a new chapter of Samsung TV Plus, the leading TV manufacturer’s free ad-supported TV (FAST) and video on-demand service reaching 24 countries and 465 million devices globally across TV and mobile.
Launched in 2015 as one of the first FAST services by a device manufacturer, Samsung TV Plus has steadily expanded its reach and content offering to deliver over 220 channels in the U.S., over 1,600 channels globally, and over 50 owned & operated channels spanning news, sports, entertainment and more worldwide. As the #1 FAST service on Samsung Smart TVs, the platform boasts one of the most extensive offerings of free, live national and local news. In the last 12 months, Samsung TV Plus has seen massive 100% growth in consumer viewing, including nearly 3 billion hours streamed by highly engaged users across the globe.
The new global Samsung TV Plus brand launching today signifies Samsung’s commitment and investment in the future of FAST. The leading Samsung Smart TV service, available completely free and integrated on all 2016-2022 Samsung Smart TVs and Galaxy devices, is increasingly serving as a comprehensive pay TV alternative. Further expanding its footprint, Samsung also recently announced the availability of Samsung TV Plus on select Family Hub refrigerators (2.0 models 2017 and later), initially in the U.S. and Korea, so users can continue watching from every room.
Samsung TV Plus will unveil a host of new programming partnerships and features including:
- Premium Content: With Samsung’s commitment to deliver more premium content for free, it continues to strengthen its partnerships with A+E Networks, The E.W. Scripps Company and BBC Studios, including launching the global auto franchise, Top Gear. The channel marks BBC’s 5th channel that has launched on Samsung TV Plus, including BBC Home, BBC Food, Classic Doctor Who and Antiques Roadshow UK. Additionally, fans can now watch their favorite crime dramas like Law & Order Special Victims Unit, NCIS, Chicago Fire, and more on ION from Scripps Networks. Also expanding content for viewers with an eye for design, Samsung and A+E Networks deliver all things home, décor, style, food, and more with the Home.Made.Nation channel.
- Expansive News Offering: Samsung TV Plus offers viewers an impressive lineup of the best programming in television news, carrying all four major live FAST broadcasters, ABC News Live, CBS News, LiveNOW from FOX, and NBC News NOW, and features content from every genre and region. From Bloomberg TV+ UHD to Cheddar News to Telemundo, there is something for every type of news consumer. In addition to delivering national and international news coverage, Samsung TV Plus has launched an expansive initiative to bring live, local news and weather to consumers around the US. Today, the service offers local news programming tailored to viewers’ local region across more than 40 DMAs.
- Expanded VOD Library: With an already expansive library with plans to double it in 2023 Samsung TV Plus will tap new and expanded partnerships with Lionsgate, Vice Media, and others to deliver blockbuster hits.
- Commitment to O&O: As consumers turn to Samsung TV Plus for its exclusive, owned and operated (O&O) channels, this fall, Ride or Drive, the first auto-focused channel will launch on the platform to offer even more automotive content for car fans. Samsung Showcase, a channel featuring marquee content including concerts, events and special programming, will also join the growing network of Samsung channels. To ensure the platform continues to anticipate and deliver on consumer favorites, TV veteran Andy Singer – who previously held senior roles at content studio, Alkemy X, Travel Channel, DIY Network, and HGTV – has joined Samsung TV Plus as Head of Content.
- Exclusive Premieres: With an ever-expanding variety of content, studio and production partners, Samsung brings viewers FAST-first content premieres, including an exclusive 2-minute sneak peek release of Prime Video’s highly anticipated The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power series, an exclusive, uncut version of Demi Lovato’s Vevo Official Live Performance, Vevo’s bespoke artist series which captures some of the biggest artists in the world, giving fans a fresh and unique look at some of their best loved tracks; and EstrellaTV’s new mockumentary, “Norteados con Don Cheto.”
“As an early player in the free ad-supported streaming TV space with unrivaled expertise across hardware, software and services at a truly global scale, Samsung TV Plus has become a top viewing destination for consumers around the globe,” said Won-Jin Lee, President and Head of the Service Business Team at Samsung Electronics. “We are thrilled to recognize the massive growth we’ve achieved so far across 24 countries and over 1,600 channels globally. Samsung TV Plus’ new brand signifies our continued investment into the future of FAST.”
New Brand Rollout
Samsung TV Plus’ revamped brand identity, unveiled today, will be rolled out globally across Samsung Smart TVs, mobile apps, and web. The rebrand, led by UK-based brand agency Dixon Baxi, is inspired by the Samsung TV Plus cross-device experience. The new brand’s bold use of color and animation bring to life the extraordinary variety of content available on Samsung TV Plus and its radical ease of use across screens, delivering premium subscription-free TV to the masses.
“Our new look, programming and partnerships come at a time when many consumers are overwhelmed by a myriad of monthly bills and subscriptions. We are proud not only to manufacture quality devices, but ones that provide additional value through instant and free access to entertainment spanning movies, music, news, art, gaming, health and more,” said Sang Kim, SVP of Product and Marketing, Samsung Electronics.
The leading service will unveil its new look at an event at Samsung’s flagship store in Manhattan’s Meatpacking district. The event will feature an insightful panel discussion on the Future of FAST, moderated by Cheddar Senior Reporter Michelle Castillo alongside A+E Networks’ EVP, Global Content Sales and Business Development, Mark Garner; AMC Networks’ SVP of Advanced Advertising & Digital Partnerships Evan Adlman; and Samsung TV Plus’ Head of Content Andy Singer.
For free access to Samsung TV Plus, click the “Samsung TV Plus” icon on the first screen of any Samsung Smart TV or launch the app on any Samsung mobile device. Check us out at samsung.com/tvplus to learn more.