Samsung Electronics already set to sweep the 2012 CES
The International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), an annual event that will take place next year from January 10th to 14th, will feature an endless array of consumer electronics, many of them never before seen by the public. Among those products, the very best are honored with the CES Innovation Award, determined by the IDSA (Industrial Designers Society of America) and CEA (Consumer Electronics Association). CES, the world’s largest consumer technology tradeshow held by the Consumer Electronics Association® (CEA) every January since 1979, has honored Samsung with 90 awards in the past three years — 37 in 2011 and 23 in 2010.
A wide range of Samsung products are to be honored, including TVs, home theaters, LCD panels, mobile phones and lots more. Among them, two products are in line to be awarded the Best of Innovations award. One of these, the very exciting SUR4.0, has been described as an interactive multimedia desk, featuring motion sensors to detect hand gestures.
In addition to Innovation awards, six Samsung products are to be given the Eco Design Award as well, including the world’s first solar-powered laptop, microwave, washing machine, and transparent LCD. This is twice the number of awards as last year, so it is safe to say that Samsung will continue to lead the way in terms of finding innovative new ways to preserve the environment.
All of Samsung’s award-winning products will be on display during the 2012 International CES, which runs January 10-13, 2012, in Samsung booth #12004 in the Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center. Moreover, many of the winning products will be first unveiled at Samsung’s CES press conference, scheduled for 2 p.m. on Monday January 9, 2012.
We are proud to have been recognized for our innovations and dedication to eco-friendly solutions, and will continue to push the envelope in both design and sustainability. Innovations 2012 Design and Engineering honoree products are featured on www.CESweb.org/Innovations, which lists product categories, as well as each product name, manufacturer information, designer, description, photo and URL.
The following are additional details for some of the award recipients:
The Samsung 830 Series solid-state drives (SSDs) set a new standard for performance and reliability. Their SATA 6Gb/s data interface allows these internal storage drives to handle data up to twice as fast as previous-generation SSDs, with sequential read speeds up to 520 MB/sec and random read speeds up to 80,000 IOPS. Maximum storage capacity has also doubled, with the addition of a new 512 GB version (64GB, 128GB and 256GB SSDs are also available).*
• Samsung’s RF4289 LCD Refrigerator with apps is the first ever to boast kitchen-relevant apps on a WiFi-enabled 8” LCD touchscreen. Users can quickly access recipe collections on Epicurious, check the weather on WeatherBug??, leave notes for the kids, review the family’s Google Calendar™, check the headlines on AP News??, listen to their favorite music on Pandora??, and enjoy a photo slide show with Picasa™, all from the refrigerator. The refrigerator also includes high-quality food preservation and storage features to keep food fresher for longer and increase usable space.
• The Samsung Series 7 Slate PC challenges all preconceived notions of a Windows slate computer offering all of the features of a full-sized laptop in an extremely portable package. With a Samsung-exclusive SuperBright Plus 11.6” capacitive touch HD display, powerful Intel?? Core™ i5 processor, and available with Windows?? 7 Professional operating system, and an up to 128 GB solid state hard drive, this full power slate meets the needs of even the most demanding users and allows for maximum productivity anywhere they go.
• The Samsung Notebook PC Series 7 Chronos is a sleek, advanced laptop providing powerful, highly portable cutting edge technology to mobile users. With an aluminum body encasing a Samsung-exclusive SuperBright HD+ display, Intel?? Core™ i5 or i7 processors, Samsung’s exclusive FastStart technology, a 750GB hard drive and an 8GB ExpressCache™ system from Diskeeper, this laptop has incredibly fast start-up and exceeds all performance expectations. *
• The Samsung Galaxy S?? II Epic™ 4G Touch packs industry-leading hardware and software and the latest version of the Android™ smartphone platform. The Galaxy S II is highlighted by Samsung’s own Super AMOLED Plus display technology, a powerful dual core application processor and a robust array of entertainment, messaging and social networking experiences.
• The Samsung Galaxy™ S II at AT&T features industry-leading hardware and software and the latest version of the Android™ platform within a slim smartphone, at 8.89mm at its thinnest. The Galaxy S II™ is highlighted by Samsung’s own Super AMOLED™ Plus display technology on a 4.3-inch screen, a powerful 1.2 GHz dual core application processor and a robust array of entertainment, messaging and social networking services and applications.
• The Samsung Sidekick™ 4G is the next generation Android 2.2-powered messaging centric device that delivers an integrated social networking experience with group text messaging, access to Google services and video chat capabilities.
• The Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 8.9 (Wi-Fi) is powered by Android™ 3.1 Honeycomb offering faster and smoother transitions between different applications, more intuitive navigation to and from home screens and broader support of USB accessories, external keyboards, joysticks and more.
• The Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 (Wi-Fi) is powered by Android™ 3.2 Honeycomb offering faster and smoother transitions between different applications, more intuitive navigation to and from home screens and broader support of USB accessories, external keyboards, joysticks and gamepads.
• The Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 with 4G LTE is powered by Android™ 3.1 Honeycomb and is the thinnest mobile tablet currently available in the world, measuring in at an ultra-slim 8.6mm. Additionally, it offers download speeds of 5-12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2- 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage area.
As part of Samsung’s PlanetFirst™ initiative, a commitment to become one of the world’s most environmentally friendly companies by 2013, Samsung has a dedicated goal to develop environmentally friendly products and building green manufacturing sites. In its latest effort to support that commitment Samsung received four Eco-Design awards. Some examples of the CES Eco-design award recipients include:
• The Samsung SMH2117S Over The Range Microwave is the first microwave to feature an LED light for the cooktop, located underneath the microwave. The LED lamp in Samsung’s SMH2117S uses less than a tenth of the power consumption (2.4W/1EA) of current conventional incandescent (40W/1EA) or halogen (20W/1EA) cook top lamps. In addition, its Ceramic Enamel interior makes it seven times more scratch and rust resistant than other microwave interiors, and an Eco Mode saves up to 40% in energy by turning the display off when not in use.
• The Samsung LTI460AP01 Transparent Liquid Crystal Display is a see-through panel at least 22” diagonal, providing high-definition images with low power consumption and the ability to operate on solar-replenished battery power. These extremely thin LCD panels are expected to be used in a variety of applications such as for advertising on cooler or commercial freezer glass doors in supermarkets; on vending machines; for various touch-accessed retail window applications; and to create “smart” windows in homes or offices providing instant information such as weather, stocks and news flashes.
• The Samsung NC215S is the world’s first solar-powered netbook that delivers power, portability and performance while also being both environmentally and economically friendly. Maximizing productivity while maintaining eco-conscious features, the NC215S design provides an integrated solar panel on the top lid, allowing the netbook to automatically charge in direct sunlight. Users can gain one hour of use after two hours of solar charging, and with battery life rated to 14.5 hours, users will be able to enjoy all-day computing on a single charge.
Corporate > More Stories